Saturday, April 7, 2012

Three cheers for messy transition!

 Your localization, your transition to  a lower energy use future is unlikely to be a smooooth trip to a pastoral utopia. No, more likely it has a messy side, the celebration of which is subject of this post.

Richard Heinberg`s phrase  "the end of growth" (also this title of his outstanding book) is the shortest possible description of what`s coming. As you likely know, the change that will result from the end of growth will change pretty much everything about pretty much everything. It'll shake-up on how we live, work, travel, and eat. It will challenge our very identity.

One side of the transition to no growth will likely be messy. Messy, messy, messy! I don’t mean that it can`t or won`t be fun and beautiful too  - I think it will be (more about that later). But it can`t help but mess up the neat categories we’ve had and wanted to have for how we imagine our future.
Let me share some of my own messy story.

Radical Relocalization started out very primly and properly on a flush of success and enthusiasm. I moved to the country for a new relationship, started a monthly group there and a newspaper column based on sharing skills for self-sufficient living. Over time, for good reasons, each of these faltered. My partner and I split up, the place I bounced to was difficult. The column ran out of people to interview in our sparsely populated area. And the monthly group chose to be leaderless after a year and a half – I'd been the leader - and people stopped attending.

And at times since I've felt uncomfortable speaking out for relocalization, when my own wasn’t looking so good.
But that`s not the whole story of course. A turnaround came when I created a couple of local places to put out there how it was going for me, and to hear others with their own transition story. It was a safe space for the highs and lows of how we were actually doing. We called it a listening circle (in a nearby town I called it a Learning Circle). From the start this lightened things up, was fun and engaging and a place where new ideas naturally emerged.
The listening circle is a place where we`re hearing more of how it really is for each other, the triumphs and challenges of working our way through transition. It’s not a place for political diatribes, blaming somebody out there for what's not working. The group is safe and respectful, and paradoxically helpful, even though it makes no attempt to fix. Being with a group of people who are transparent with their own `transition` normalizes our own. When it’s safe to be screwed up when screwed up we are, it becomes clear that we’re really not unique in our relocalization challenges. It becomes evident that much of the time we’re invested in stopping something from happening – in putting the brakes on a transition under way. 
The group also demonstrates and important truth, that transition happens partly in a “we” space; it's a collective phenomenon. Part of it happens in an “I” space, too as we rise to meet the challenge with who we uniquely are. Transition is both an Ì`and a `we` phenomenon. Both / and, just like it's messy as well as creative.
Coming out of the listening circle are a number of other projects. At the root of them all is wanting to engage with more people in more ways around transition. I want this for myself for selfish reasons but also because I believe that our very best chance lies in a bigger more inclusive transition story, one that involves my local community more deeply, and more communities of communities.

The best chance of all would be to have a tipping point of people creatively involved in transitioning to a local, sustainable, just world as if their lives depended on it. Which of course, in a real way it does.


That's what I want and the story I'm learning to live in. It's a story that makes room for the mess, embraces the full catastrophe, but steps up to imagine a world that can work for all. A bigger story.
What I want too is more engagement with other transitioners and relocalizers of all stripes.

I'd be very happy if you'd drop a line with anything that's up in your own messy and marvelous transition.

Co-heartedly,
Andrew

P.S. If you're on twitter, I'm @Relocalizer

6 comments:

  1. Hello Andrew. Its good to hear from you. I am still interested in the things you are doing, and look forward to commenting on your blog, but I want to send this as a trial baloon to see if it goes through. I had trouble getting on once before -- so here goes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are having our first "gathering" next Saturday. I hope it's the beginning of some friendships and some listening. Patience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been doing a quick run-thru of the material on your site. Wow! You have so many things right about a sketch of how we might dig ourselves out of the cultural and individual pit we have dug ourselves into. I am going to sleep on all this tonight, and come up with some thoughts tomorrow. So much of your trip resonates strongly with the directions I am moving in...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since birth, I have been an intensely curious person. One of the chief questions that has deeply involved me and given direction to my life is this: Why with all the blessings of this beautiful planet and the accumulated riches of human intelligence, why have we created such a self-destructive nightmare for ourselves? In my heart, along with James Joyce's character, I have felt that history is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake. With Hamlet, I have said "The time is out of joint; oh cursed spite that I was born to set it right!" Thus I have always been dismayed that people can blithely go there ways as if this overwhelming question of the human world's path to destruction were non-existent. We are sleep-walking to our doom.

    Over time I have come to understand that this embedded unconsciousness is a root cause of our not giving proper attention and priority to dealing with the reality of our incompetence to live our lives together in peace and mutual harmony. Whatever we need to do to come out of this fundamental unwillingness to face the reality of the near total failure of our culture and ourselves, must serve to shatter this state of denial in ourselves. Fortunately means to accomplish this difficult but essential first step are in existence. The effective small groups that Andrew envisions and is actively creating are a crucial means of awakening us to our plight, and providing effective means to grow beyond it, and heal ourselves and our world. What think you? Give me some feedback. Let's start a conversation...

    ReplyDelete
  5. bantornone, good luck with your gathering next Saturday. Feel free to share what you`re learning here. I`d love to see learning communities learning from each other. Just as a group is more than the sum of its individual members (if it`s a healthy group), a group of groups feeding back to each other, even if they`re quite different in form are greater too. If they`re working for the good of the whole, sharing what`s emerging and sensitive to it, healthy, I think astonishing things will are waiting to emerge.

    Sugarloafer, thanks for the kudo and for priming the pump. It may take a bit since I`m not very grounded yet in this blog format.

    It does indeed seem frustrating that the collective `we` seems unaware of our peril. That could be a lament or an inspiration to get straight ourselves. I take heart that there are many who are doing so much, and that each one of us has a needed piece of this, as big a one as we we`re willing to take on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew -- I lost track of your blog for a while.
      It would help if you could put a "remind me if there is a response" button on this blog. I think it would be great if this became a clearing house for folks engaged in small group formats seeking answers to our current crisis. Getting more publicity about your blog would be neessary for that. Any ideas how to do that, anyone?

      Delete